The Broadcast is a transformer coupled, discrete Class-A germanium pre-amplifier based on the classic broadcast consoles of the 1960s. In the low-gain setting, the Broadcast can cover everything from sparkling clean boost through to transparent overdrive, all with a healthy dose of volume available to push your amp. The Broadcast features a specially selected Triad steel-core transformer and a Germanium transistor. Advancing the gain on the Broadcast starts to saturate the transformer and the pedal’s discrete circuitry, giving rise to a gentle and dynamic compression coupled with subtle thickening of the mid-range. With the gain switch in the high setting and the trim control wound up, the Broadcast starts to deliver heavier distorted sounds with a warm and fuzzy edge to them. The Broadcast covers a wide range of driven and distorted tones whilst remaining dynamic, responding well to pick attack and the subtle nuances of every player.
LEVEL – Controls the overall volume of the pedal.
- GAIN SWITCH – Selects low or high gain mode.
- GAIN TRIM – Controls the gain level of the Broadcast. At higher settings the high-end of the signal is gently rolled off.
- LOW CUT – Attenuates the low-end of the Broadcast. SSince this control lies at the front end of the Broadcast's circuitry, it is interactive with the gain controls.
DC SOCKET – The Broadcast requires a DC power supply unit (PSU) and can run at voltages between 9v and 24v; running the Broadcast at voltages higher than 9v gives it more headroom, output level and clarity. This is great for use with bass or when using the Broadcast as a clean pre-amp boost.
Please ensure your PSU can supply between 9v and 24, a minimum current of 20mA and has a 2.1mm negative centre barrel plug. Any other type may damage your pedal. If you plan on sharing the same PSU with other pedals, we recommend using a PSU with isolated outputs, e.g. Voodoo Lab PP2.
- Selected Germanium and Silicon transistors
- Specially chosen TRIAD Magnetics steel-core transformer
- BI Technologies potentiometers
- Lumberg jack sockets (rated for >5000 cycles)
- Heavy duty Alpha foot switches (rated for >30,000 cycles)
- Individually hand-built on to a high-quality PCB, assembled, hand-wired, tested and packaged all by Michael Hudson
Love the Broadcast. Works great as an always on/secret sauce pedal or kick it over (with the beefiest toggle switch in all of Christendom) for a great fuzz/distortion.
I love the Hudson Broadcast as a multi-tonal pedal. The unique transistors inside give it an old school feel and also the 2 gain modes means it can be crunchy or fuzzy depending on your use. I have used it in lead parts and rhythm parts and it always seems to get the job done!